Dinner time conversations can be hard, especially when you have a child who doesn’t like to talk much when you ask things like, “How was school?” or “What did you do at school today?” This would be my child. The one who would rather eat brussel sprouts than to answer questions about his day at school. Now that my own child has been in school for several years, I’ve learned the trick to getting him to talk more about his day is to initiate a conversation about something else first – something they really don’t mind talking about. Even though my child doesn’t necessarily come right out and talk about his day after I do talk about something else, it does seem to increase the likelihood that at some point that day, I get some information about how his school day was.
Here are 39 of my favorite questions to ask my own children. Hope they help initiate more conversation in your home too!
- What is your favorite toy?
- Who is your favorite superhero?
- Who would you say is your best friend?
- Who do you not particularly like to play with?
- If you had to choose between reading, writing, or drawing, which would you choose, and why?
- Would you rather read a book or article from a tablet or from hard print (a hard copy of a book or newspaper)?
- Would you eat the gum from under a picnic table bench for $50.00? (Or How much money would it take for you to eat gum from under a picnic table bench?)
- What is your favorite thing to do at the park and/or on a playground?
- Would you rather go on a swing that does flips or a slide that never ends?
- If you could be granted three wishes and you could wish for anything that you want except for more wishes, what would you wish for?
- What is your idea of a “perfect day?”
- What is your most embarrassing moment?
- What is your favorite game/videogame? Why? (Bonus: Ask your child to show you how to play said game/videogame.)
Questions About School
- What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch at school?
- What is the worst lunch you’ve ever had at school?
- Who is your favorite teacher?
- What is your favorite subject?
- What is your least favorite subject?
- What do you think should happen to a kid that gets caught cheating in school?
- What is your favorite thing to do at recess, and why?
- What would you like to do or be when you get older? Why?
- What do you think is the most boring thing about school?
- What do you think is the best part about school?
- What is the worst part about school?
- What is the craziest or funniest thing your friend has ever done in school?
- What teacher seems to really “get you?” What teacher doesn’t?
Questions About the Home and/or Family
- What is the nicest thing your sibling has ever done for you?
- What is the nicest thing you have ever done for your sibling?
- What is the nicest thing your parents/caregivers have ever done for you, in your opinion?
- What is your favorite meal?
- What is your least favorite meal?
- What is your favorite thing to do at home?
- What is your favorite thing to do with your mom? Your dad?
- What is your favorite thing to do with your sibling?
- What do you think you most need from your parents?
- If you could go anywhere for a two-week vacation, where would you want to go? Why?
- What is the most embarrassing thing your parents have ever done in public in front of you?
- What is your least favorite chore and/or rule in this house?
- What is the most embarrassing thing your sibling has ever done in public with you there?